Fratelli Alinari. Fondazione per la storia della Fotografia” (Fratelli Alinari. Foundation for the History of Photography) was established in September 1998. its objectives include safe-guarding, promotion and valorization of everything in the domain of photography and its history, as well as the figurative arts in general. Among the responsibilities of the Foundation are those of promoting and creating exhibition activities as well as managing the museum and the technical and didactic activities of the MNAF, Alinari National Museum of Photography in its premises in the Leopoldine in Piazza S. Maria Novella in Florence.
Activities of the Foundation:
- Exhibition events: One of the important tasks of the Foundation is the formulation, promotion and diffusion of Italian and non-Italian photographic culture through the creation of a program of annual exhibitions in the Alinari National Museum of Photography in its premises in the Leopoldine in Piazza S. Maria Novella and in other premises in agreement with Italian and international institutions and/or organizations.
- Research and cultural activities: As its institutional activity the Foundation promotes and diffuses the photographic image in all its forms, including audio-visual and multimedia communication, and also, including the use of new technologies.
- Restoration and conservation: It is also an important center for photographic restoration, committed both on the level of operational interventions on the various types of materials inherent in photographic production, and on that of education and scientific training in the field. Conventions, workshops and study seminars are planned annually by the Foundation in collaboration with the Opificio delle Pietre Dure di Firenze, with the participation of world specialists in the various areas of the restoration, conservation and safe-guarding of the photographic cultural asset.
Lastly the Foundation promotes and edits scientific and editorial publications specialized in the field of photography and its history.
Partner contribution to the project
Fondazione Alinari provide for EuropeanaPhotography:
- 10.000 masterpiece images from our collection, with a profile of the main collection and the content themes and related metadata. The selections will have the aim of providing a contribution in terms of history of Italian photography.
- Enrichment and adaptation of metadata
- Conversion and mapping of metadata for 10.000 images through MINT-LIDO, using the vocabulary provided by KMKG
- Contribution to dissemination producing an exhibition and a book “A tour of Masterpiece Images Across Europe” which will summarise the work of images selection made by all partners. The exhibition will be held in Florence, MNAF-National Alinari Museum of History of Photography. The exhibition will show about 100 high quality “masterpiece” images (selected by the Content Committee).
- Production of communication material for exhibition: 1000 brochures, 1 large banner will be displayed at the entrance of the Fratelli Alinari Museum in the heart of Florence, Piazza Santa Maria Novella, directory for journalists.