Società geografica italiana
The Italian Geographical Society was founded in Florence on 1867, aiming at promoting geographical knowledge and its diffusion. Since 1869 it is non-profit organization, while in 1872 it was transferred to Rome, in the sixteenth Palazzetto Mattei, in Villa Celimontana, where it is still located.
The Society’s scope is the promotion of scientific research and dissemination. Its Library and Collection of maps have one of the most important and specialized collections in Italy and Europe; the Historical Archive preserves the memory of the Institute; the Photographic Archive includes more than 150,000 pictures which document places, people and landscapes of almost all regions of the Earth. The Archive preserves some masterpieces of authors who have made the history of the world photography (Timothy O'Sullivan, Francis Frith). A wide portion of the historical collections were donated directly by travelers after their explorations; some of them were added by the acquisitions of private funds (Fondo Giotto Dainelli, Fondo Elio Migliorini, Fondo Giuseppe Caraci, Fondo Bruno Castiglioni, Fondo Mario Fondi, Fondo Franco Lubrani, Fondo Mario Ortolani).